Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Hi, Everybody!

My name is Kaynan Goldberg. I am a 12-year-old locavore. What is a locavore? Somebody who tries to eat mostly local food. My family shops at the farmers' markets as much as we can. Luckily for us, the Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill area in NC (the Triangle) has plenty of farmer's markets.

We aren't perfect. My baby brother is a little monkey and could probably eat bananas all day long, which do not grow in NC. We can't buy olive oil locally, either. We can buy local cheese, but it's expensive. Less food grows in the winter, so it's harder to find veggies. We aren't perfect, but we do our best.

There are lots of benefits to being a locavore. The food at the farmers' markets was probably picked the morning you bought it. When food is that fresh, it tastes delicious. You haven't had a real apple unless you've had a fresh-picked apple from the farmers' market. Fresh food is also better for you. The food's nutritional value drops if it sits around for a long time. Eating it soon after harvest gives all the vital nutrients in the food. Another benefit is all the variety you get from eating local food. Farmers can't grow food that isn't in season, so you end up trying new foods that you may learn to love.

Being a locavore is great. Through this blog, I want to show you how you can eat locally, too. I'm hoping that I can help spread the idea of the local food movement. This is my way of making a change.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful Kaynan...with this blog you'll be empowering people to help themselves. I have only one objection...I think you guys ARE perfect just the way you are. ;-)

    ReplyDelete